Thursday, August 4, 2011

Work in Progress [WIP]: Housewarming Party

A few weeks ago a friend of mine moved.  I made her “I’m moving” postcards which you can view here and buy here.  In an attempt to come up with something new to add to my shop, and with this postcard freshly finished a friend suggested I keep moving forward and make a Housewarming Party invitation.  I didn’t make this for anyone in particular.  It was just something to keep the creative juices flowing, and of course increase my product line on Etsy. 

I scoured the internet for inspiration and my first thought was a home wearing earmuffs and a scarf.  However, the more I looked the more I realized that I didn’t want to make a house with earmuffs and a scarf.  It’s not winter right now, it should be more summery!  Next thing I know I’m knee deep in paper lantern pictures. Isn’t that the perfect end of summer beginning of fall thing?  A nice backyard party?

I also really like the idea of using words like ‘eat’ and ‘party’ in the invitation.  Combining paper lanterns and letters seems easy enough.  Thus I began to sketch out a few ideas.




However, by the time I brought that idea to life I realized that this was not the direction I had meant to head in…something was just off. So I sketched out a new idea, thanks to a new brainstorming effort (p.s. I don’t know what I’d do without my friends because they’re the ultimate brain trust in bouncing ideas back and forth – thanks for being so awesome!).  I’m thinking this new tree idea is really going to work. 



The other thing I wanted to fix was the lantern color.  For version one, I used pastel colors for the lanterns (see below) and as great as those colors are for baby showers and Easter, they're not so great for the late summer party that I was looking for.  I found this image of lanterns and knew these were the colors I had in mind.



Stay tuned for the finished product hopefully coming up soon!

No comments: